Join us via Twitter: #iht20
The future has caught up with retail: shopping online, avoiding shops, paying contactlessly, and consuming better and differently are no longer things that people will do "sometime in the future". They are doing them now. The Covid-19 pandemic is a time machine for retail.
Cities are feeling this particularly strongly. Boutiques remain closed, department stores are disappearing, and gastronomy options are in short supply. The symbiosis of retail and urban life is changing. To remain attractive and profitable, a new mix of offers is needed. Social distancing, the delivery economy and the return of urban production will be key factors.
The 70th International Retail Summit will address questions, such as:
- An urban lifestyle needs retail, and shopping needs passers-by. Or do they?
- Prestige buildings vs. container shops: is the rise of small formats unstoppable?
- Vans, couriers, robots and drones: how do we get the last mile under control?
- Where does retail still have control over its customers? Which touchpoints will remain in the customer journey?
- How do you lead the new heroes on the sales floor, and those who are working from home?
- What will remain after the crisis, and what is only temporary?
The GDI Retail Summit will be held as a face-to-face event. If you still prefer to participate online, you can also book the conference as a livestream.
Thursday, 10 September, 10.00 – 17.45
9.00 - 9.45
Breakfast Speed Networking (optional)
How has Covid-19 changed your shopping behavior? What makes a city centre worth living?
Take part in an informal, moderated exchange on these two questions and get to know other participants.
David Bosshart (CH), CEO, Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute
Urban Retail 2030: Embracing the Next Normal After the Crisis
- Recombining places, consumption, work and mobility
- What the pandemic accelerates, and what it decelerates
Kristian Villadsen (DK), Partner and Director, Gehl Architects
People First: How to Create Liveable Streetscapes Pre & Post Covid-19
- Why some city centers are more appealing than others
- The role of retail in urban settings
Thomas Sevcik (CH), CEO and Founder, Arthesia
Retail Beyond Retail: New Content for New Urban Economies
- Case studies and future outlook from vanity storage to co-anything
Markus Länzlinger (CH), CEO, Migrolino
Convenience after Corona: What is here to stay?
- Why small and micro spaces play an important role
- Opportunities and limits of shop automation
Emmanuelle Hoss (FR), Executive Director, Semaest
Revive le Quartier: When Innovating Commerce Becomes a Public Mission
- Creating a new local economy through retail and crafts
- How the right mix of shops enhances neighbourhoods
Paul Myers (GB), Managing Director, Farm Urban
Hyperlocal: Urban Farming With a Social Mission
- Why we need to not just change production but our relationship with food
- How to supply fresh living greens to the local community
Uwe D’Agnone (DE), CEO, Creapaper
From the Green Meadow: Why Grass Makes the Better Packaging
- The invention of a new commodity
Greeting by H.E. Mr Jacob Keidar, Ambassador of Israel to Switzerland and the Principality of Liechtenstein
Guy Bloch (IL), CEO, Bringg
Delivery as a Service: Rethinking Logistics
- Success factors for an accelerated world
- How retailers can stick to retail
André Maeder (DE), CEO, KaDeWe Group
Outlook: New Bricks for a Traditional Format
- The Comeback of the Inner City and the New Role of the Department Store
- Targeted Investment, Smart Innovation and Cool Inspiration
Stephanie Kelton (US), Professor of Economics and Public Policy at Stony Brook University
Why Debt Is Not The Problem: Solutions For a Post-Covid Economy
Indian Summer Dinner
A pleasant evening on the beautiful GDI terrace with late summer delicacies, drinks and good company.
Shuttleservice: Transfer to Hotel Sedartis and Thalwil train station
Friday, 11 September, 09.00 – 13.00
Bruno Maçães (PT), non-resident senior fellow; Hudson Institute and author of “Dawn of Eurasia” and “Belt and Road”
A New Global Map: Understanding the Belt and Road
- The underestimated significance for Europe
- The impact of new routes on old cities
- Key insights for tomorrow’s trade and retail
Torsten Toeller (DE), Founder, Owner and Chairman, Fressnapf Holding
Loyal Companions: An Ecosystem for Pet Lovers
- From retailer to innovative service provider
David Sandström (SE), Chief Marketing Officer, Klarna
New Consumer Habits: Shaping the Future of Payments and Retail
- How to adapt to the next generation's needs
- How to bring back the fun in payments and shopping
- Building a brand for a new financial generation
Simona Scarpaleggia (CH), CEO, Edge Strategy
The Future of Work: A Guide for Purposeful Transformation
- Leading the workforce in times of disruption
Matt Heiman (GB), Founding Investor and Chairman, Cocoon
Renting It-Bags: Why Access Is the New Luxury
- Subscription as the way forward
- The future of luxury is freedom
- Integrating status symbols into the circular economy
Dana Thomas (FR), Journalist and New York Times Bestselling Author
Seizing the Momentum: Time for a New Era in Fashion
- Emerging from the crisis towards a more sustainable future
- The post-growth business model