David Bosshart (CH), Author and Executive Advisor, Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute
Farms, Labs and Beyond: Fixing a Broken Food System
- Why we need a food revolution and why it needs to be now.
- Understanding the underlying basics of this change.
- Feeding 9bn people is easy – if we want it.
Lord Adair Turner (GB), Chairman, Energy Transitions Committee and Senior Fellow, Institute of New Economic Thinking
Climate Crisis: Why Food is the Real Challenge
- In energy, transport and industry, renewable electricity provides a clear way forward to a zero carbon economy.
- But the global food system’s impact on the natural environment seems a more intractable challenge.
- Will synthetic biology provide an answer?
Break, networking, yoga
Sjaak Wolfert (NL), Theme Ambassador Digital Innovation in Agri-Food, Wageningen University & Research
Smart Agriculture: Digital Innovation for Sustainable Food
- How new technologies such as the internet of things, big data, AI and blockchains bring agriculture to the next level.
- What does state-of-the-art innovation in food production look like today, and what lies ahead?
- Bottlenecks, future challenges and how to address them.
A conversation with
Chris Smaje (GB), Social scientist, author and small scale farmer
Small-Scale Farming: Food Production Relocalized
- How can the challenges to the existing global food and farming system be addressed?
- In a relocalized future, what would be the economic and distributional implications within the food sector?
- To what extent can politics contribute to enabling this shift?
Emma Wetter Slack (CH), Professor of Food Immunology, ETH Zurich
The Microbiome: Small Creatures, Big Impact
- How does your microbiome influence your response to food?
- How can we intervene in microbiome-associated disorders?
- When will we be seeing such interventions in daily practice?
Break, networking, roundtable discussions
Paul Shapiro (US), author of “Clean Meat”
Clean Meat: Growing a New Industry
- What are the motivations behind the burgeoning movement to create meat without having to raise and slaughter animals?
- From growing meat from animal cells, using microbial proteins, plant proteins, to hybrids: an overview of new ways to recreate the meat industry.
- This is how major food companies are responding to the protein diversification
- Who will win and who will lose in the food industry?
A conversation with
Martin Zehnder (CH), Category Manager Meat, Migros-Genossenschafts-Bund
The Consumer Perspective
Short presentations by pioneering start-ups in cellular agriculture:
Lou Cooperhouse (US), President and CEO, BlueNalu
Sandhya Sriram (SG), CEO and Co-founder, Shiok Meats
Lejjy Gafour (CA), Co-founder, Future Fields
George Peppou (AU), Founder and CEO, Vow
Benjamina Bollag (GB), Founder and CEO, Higher Steaks
Raffael Wohlgensinger (DE), Co-founder and CEO, Formo
Ido Savir (IL), CEO and Co-founder, SuperMeat
Meet the Pioneers
Breakout Session 1: Benjamina Bollag (Higher Steaks) and Lou Cooperhouse (BlueNalu), moderated by Beth Loberant (SuperMeat)
Breakout Session 2: Raffael Wohlgensinger (Formo), Ido Savir (SuperMeat) and Sandhya Sriram (Shiok Meats), moderated by Matthew Robin (Elsa-Mifroma)
Breakout Session 3: Lejjy Gafour (Future Fields) and George Peppou (Vow), moderated by Orit Ronen-Bernstein
Break and networking
Panel discussion with
Costa Yiannoulis (GB), Co-founder and Managing Partner, Synthesis Capital
Przemek Obloj (CH), Managing Partner, Blue Horizon
The investors’ perspective
- $3.1B was invested in the alternative protein space in 2020: strong secular growth or a market bubble?
- Plant based, fermentation and cultivated: Where are the next big opportunities in the alternative protein space?
- Which markets are the most accepting of alternative proteins and where do you expect the biggest growth?
Matthew Kenney (US), Founder, Matthew Kenney Cuisine
The Plan(e)t Momentum: Crafting the Cuisine of the Future
- How to welcome meat lovers to a new experience.
- The secrets of satisfying pleasure seekers with plant-based alternatives.
- The role of lab-grown products in tomorrow’s cuisine.