Dr. David Bosshart
Dr. David Bosshart is CEO of the Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute for Economic and Social Studies. Dr. David Bosshart holds a PhD in philosophy, is the author of numerous international publications and sought-after speaker worldwide. His work focuses on the future of consumption, societal transformation, digitisation (human-machine), management and culture, globalisation and political philosophy.
More than 1,900 presentations in 40 countries with a 314,000 audience
Dr. David Bosshart, CEO of the GDI Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute for economic and social studies, Rüschlikon/Zurich.
The GDI is an independent European think tank, founded by European retail pioneer Gottlieb Duttweiler (1888-1962). The institute specializes in trend research, retail, economic and social issues. It also offers strategic workshops, lectures, and conferences like the International Retail Summit (67th edition in 2018), the European Foodservice Summit (18th edition in 2018) and the European Trend Day (13th edition in 2018). The main topics are: changes in consumption patterns and behavior, innovation in retailing and the service industry. The Gottlieb Duttweiler Prize is Switzerland’s most prestigious award for outstanding personalities, dedicated only every couple of years (1989 Václav Havel, 2004 Joschka Fischer, 2008 Kofi Annan, 2011 Jimmy Wales, 2015 Sir Tim Berners-Lee).
Bosshart capped his studies with a Ph.d. from the University of Zurich in philosophy and political theory. He has been involved in communications and marketing consulting, in retailing and in scientific research. From 1991 to 1996 he was head of the department of consumer research and social change at the GDI. From 1997 to 1999 he was head of strategic development and director of the cultural and social section of the Federation of Migros Cooperatives. Bosshart has been in his current position since 1999.
David Bosshart is the author of numerous publications and a speaker at international events in Europe, America and Asia. His expertise is focused on consumption and consumerism, digitization, globalization, change management, social change, and political philosophy. He is currently lecturing on the topics below.
Press review (selection): Forbes, Time Magazine, Business Week, Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, WirtschaftsWoche, Neue Zürcher Zeitung, Frankfurter Allgemeine, Der Standard, Der Spiegel, Focus, Stern, Playboy, Greenpeace Magazin, Hürriyet, Het Financieele Dagblad, Die Zeit, Manager Magazin, Süddeutsche Zeitung, Die Welt, Le Temps, CNN, BBC, ZDF, ORF, SRF.
(ask for individual topic)
- Megatrends, Change, Globalization, and Politics
- Megatrends and countertrends in the economy, and society
- The future of success: how management is going to change
- The future of trust. Don’t lose the most precious resource
- Polarization shocks and the future of power. Are growing gaps in a shrinking world inevitable?
- The Age of Less. Redefining wealth and wellbein
- The 5Ds: (De)globalization. Digitization. Demography. Debt. Deflation.
- Polarization shocks. Are growing gaps in a shrinking world inevitable?
- Technology & Man in a Digital Age
- Data wealth between man and machine: how we become productive in the future
- High tech and high touch: How human needs are going to change in the digital age
- Simplexity: making things simpler in a complex world
- Big data – deep emotions: how Amazon, Google, Alibaba and Facebook et al. are creating a new eco system for businesses and consumers
- Digital ageing: how technology can help us to improve our life and age well
- Smart home und smart living: new dimensions of living better with new technologies
- Consumer Trends, Retailing, Brands, and Consumer Behavior
- The future of consumption: how will we be living tomorrow?
- The future of communication: from information to participation to immersion
- The future of retail: channels, products, prices
- The future of brands, media, and communication
- Food 2025: food trends between science and romance
- The future of luxury: seduction, style, and individual differentiation
- The slower you move, the faster you die: what the acceleration of just about everything means for retail and shopping
- Eternity Now: Wellbeing and Beauty Retail Reimagined
- Society, work and leisure
- Society in the 21st century: tribal, segmented, fragmented?
- Workstyle: the future of work
- Wellness 2030: The new techniques of happiness
- Mobility 2025: more mobility, less traffic
- Demography as our fate? Why an ageing society is good for us
- From lifestyle to healthstyle. Changing values of an ageing society
Lectures held in English, German or French. Italian on request
Short sample speeches in English
Books and Studies (selection)
(in German, English, Korean, Serbian; a complete publication list is available on request):
- Das Ende des Konsums. Autoren: David Bosshart, Karin Frick, Stephan Fetsch, Holger Wildgrube. GDI-Studie Nr. 46/2019. Herausgeber: GDI Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute, KPMG AG Wirtschaftsprüfungsgesellschaft
- Wellness 2030. The new techniques of happiness. Authors: David Bosshart, Karin Frick, Marta Kwiatkowski, Leonie Thalmann GDI study no. 45/2018 in commissioned by: Global Wellness Institute
- European Food Trends Report. Food is Eating my Life: Why Food is Becoming the New Pop. Authors: Christine Schäfer, David Bosshart, Christopher Muller. GDI study no. 44/2017
- Polarization Shocks – Are Growing Gaps in a Shrinking World Inevitable? Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute 2017. 30p.
- Der nächste Luxus: Was uns in Zukunft lieb und teuer wird. Authors: Martina Kühne, David Bosshart. GDI-study no. 41/2014
- Mobilität 2025. Unterwegs in der Zukunft. Authors: Frerk Froböse, Martina Kühne, 60p. 2013 (German only)
- European Food Trends Report: Konsumentenfrühling – Beginn eines neuen Essbewusstseins. Authors: David Bosshart, Christopher Muller, Mirjam Hauser. GDI study no. 40/2013 (available in German)
- The Age of Less. Hamburg Murmann 2011, 223p (e-book available).
- Reprimatisierung. Warum wir in Neuen Medien wie Affen kommunizieren. Authors: Lionel Tiger, Norbert Bolz, David Bosshart, e-book edition only, 16p.
- European Food Trends Report: Science versus Romance. Authors: David Bosshart, Christopher Muller, Mirjam Hauser. GDI study no. 32/2010 (available in German)
- Discount Forever. Authors: David Bosshart, Martina Kühne. GDI study no. 30/2008 (available in German)
- B.A.N.G.: The Future of Evolution. GDI study no. 27/2007 (available in German)
- The Future of Leisure. Travel in 2020. Trend Report for Kuoni. 2006, 67 p.
- The Age of Cheap. Why customers intend to pay less and less as prices become more important than ever. GDI study No.13/2004, 76p. Authors: David Bosshart, José Luis Nueno, Daniel Staib (available in German)
- Billig! Wie die Lust am Discount Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft verändert Ueberreuter/Redline 2004, 2nd, revised edition 2004, 3rd edition 2004, 185p. English translation: Cheap. The Real Cost of Bargains, Discount, and Consumer Choice. Kogan Page 2006 197p.
- Radical Trends Guide. Die heimlichen Sehnsüchte der Konsum- und Dienstleistungsmärkte von morgen. GDI Studie Nr. 12/2004, 64p. Authors: David Bosshart, Karin Frick, Stefan Kaiser
- Trendreport Basic. Megatrends and Countertrends for Business, Society, and Consumption. GDI study 2003, 70p. Authors: David Bosshart and Karin Frick (available in German)
- Toptrends. Metropolitan 1995, Paperback edition 2000 (Co-Author)
- Die Zukunft des Konsums. Wie leben wir morgen? ECON 1997, 2.A.1998, 312p. Korean translation and edition 2004
- Kult-Marketing. Die Neuen Götter des Marktes. ECON 1995 (with Prof. Dr. N. Bolz), 373p. (sold out)
- Politische Intellektualität und totalitäre Erfahrung. Duncker & Humblot 1992. 292p.
Services and lectures for the following corporations and institutions (selection)
Services such as lectures, trend reports and consultations largely for international corporate groups as well as for international associations and small and mid-sized companies involved in retailing and the consumer goods industry, research and science, business schools and universities (small selection): Nestlé, Unilever, Ikea, McDonald’s, Dr. Oetker, Coca Cola, Huhtamaki, Sony, Samsung, IBM, Microsoft, Salesforce, Google, IDS Scheer, Duni, Electrolux, Geberit, Jura, Dornbracht, Zumtobel, FEDIAF, European Pet Food Industry Federation, Intersport, Nike, Lindt&Sprüngli, Barry Callebaut, Krombacher, Heineken, World Beer & Drinks Forum, Hero, Migros, Metro, Obi, Edeka, Rewe, Spar, Markant, Tchibo, Karstadt, Kaufhof, Engelhorn, Maus Frères SA, Beauty Alliance, Douglas, dm Drogeriemarkt, Denner, Kaufland, Hofer/Aldi, Lorenz Snack-World, Bed & More, Elior, HDE (Hauptverband des Deutschen Einzelhandels), Consumer Goods Forum, ICSC, Global Shop Las Vegas, IADS (International Association of Departments Stores), Presidents’ Symposium DSN Retailing, International Egg Commission, ECR-Tag (Efficient Consumer Response D-A-CH), QVC, Alphapay, Aduno Group, Allianz, Zurich Insurance Group, AXA-Winterthur, BTI, Internationale Tourismus Börse, Kuoni, Global Wellness Summit, RAPS Regulatory Affairs Professional Society, Galenica, Henkel, Frankfurter Messe, Executive Summit Anuga, Ogilvy, Saatchi&Saatchi, PwC, KPMG, Ernst&Young, BDO, SAG, SAP, Oracle, Lufthansa, Swiss Intl. Airlines, BlackRock, Deutsche Bank, Swiss RE, New RE, Credit Suisse, UBS, Crédit Mutuel, Vontobel, Bank Julius Bär, Schweizerische Kantonalbanken, Valiant Privatbank, Raiffeisen Banken, RZB Raiffeisen Oesterreich, Oesterreichische Volksbanken, Deutsche Volksbanken, Deutsche Sparkassen, Immofinanz Group, Schweiz Tourismus, Hostec, Verband Schweizerischer Generalunternehmer, Swisscom, Telekom Austria, Essilor, Siemens, ABB, General Electric, Bosch, Kone, Burda, Goldbach Media, Radio Day, Condé Nast, SRF , Parador, PostFinance, Deutsche Post, Schüco, Aduno Gruppe, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Daimler, VW, AGVS, Eon, RWE, OSEC, Universität St. Gallen (HSG), ETH, IMD, WEF, BVM (Berufsverband Deutscher Markt- und Sozialforscher e.V.), Deutscher Markenverband, Deutscher Unternehmerverband.